Monday, July 21, 2008

Thoroughly in Awe


For as long as I’ve lived in this tiny one bedroom house, I’ve diligently performed my duties in maintaining the 5-acre lot for my sweet 91 year-old landlady and her two 50-something daughters. It is a task I am more than glad to perform as they had become the constant rock that I could lean on during the tumultuous times in my life. My house is on the same property as the main house.
I am always invited in their home and they’ve accepted me as part of the family. There’s nothing that I wouldn’t do for them. Whenever I came over, I’ve always given my sweet Marguerite (we call her Granny Skeet) a hug whenever I came by and then again before I left. Each time I visit her house, I am always greeted by the warmest and kindest smile.
One day, the movie “National Treasure” came up for discussion, and the topic of the factual nature of the story of Charles Carroll became the hot topic. As it was described in the film, Charles Carroll was a Freemason when in fact, his Catholic religion would not have allowed him to join Freemasons at the time unless he was a secret member, which would have been very unlikely.
Further discussions described Charles Carroll as the oldest living signatory of the Declaration of Independence. His grandfather was an Irishman who emigrated from England to America and became one of the richest and most influential men in America.
He served in the Continental Congress, on the Board of War, through much of the War of Independence, and simultaneously participated in the framing of a constitution for Maryland. In 1778 he returned to Maryland to participate in the formation of the state government. He was elected to the Maryland Senate in 1781, and to the first Federal Congress in 1788. He returned again to the State Senate in 1790 and served there for 10 years. He retired from that post in 1800.
Charles Carroll was the last surviving member of those who signed the Declaration. He died, the last survivor of the signers of the Declaration, in 1832 at the age of 95.

John Carroll 1737 - 1832

At this point of their retelling of a great American icon in history, I was already impressed. However, it had never occurred to me until now that Marguerite Carroll’s late husband, John Carroll was Charles’ great-grandson. As l looked at the history that hung on their hallway walls, I was in awe.
…Wow.

3 comments:

The Editors said...

Beautiful story...so I'll just add some grisly detail.

I don't have enough time to point out all of the flaws in the National Treasure movies, especially regarding Freemasonry.

Suffice to say, a quick check of the Grand Lodge of PA and Grand Lodge of MD sites indicate that Charles Carroll was not a Freemason. There are lists of documented and rumored Freemasons. He is not on either list.

Be that as it may, there are quite a number of Catholic Freemsons. Since I'm not Catholic, I can't comment much on this. Suffice to say that some priests and bishops seem to not be very worried about membership in the fraternity despite strong words from Rome. This may also be evidenced from the existence of Grand Lodges in the nominally Catholic nations of Ireland, Italy, Philippines and throughout Latin America.

Best regards,

Jim...
www.thaifreemason.com

Terry said...

Dear Noel...Thank you for your visit to my blog. I am feeling a whole lot better than I did last week.
It thrills my heart so much that you are still living in that little one bedroom house on those sweet ladies land. It all sounds so homey and your great grampa would be so pleased that you are in such capable hands and so are they.
Since I have know you Noel Lewis I have never ever felt the generation gap between us and that is why I consider you still my forever friend ...love Terry

PS..I will be back later to read the interesting discussion you have here but I am going to treasure in my heart for a little while thinking of the peaceful scene there where you are on that five acres of land in your tiny home and just a little distance from the large house where you are welcomed and appreciated for the sweet person that you are!!

Terry said...

Dear Noel..Sorry for taking so long to come back to read this story again.
What a hero that man was! What I am in awe about is how he found the time to accomplish all of this and yet be married, have a family and teach the children the true value of life so much that it travelled right down to the fourth generation!
Proverbs 17:6
Children's children are the crown of old men; and the glory of children are their fathers.

Well I had better go and read you newest poat.
Thanks for your visit to my blog and your well wishes and toasts to my family....love Terry, your forever friend.