Monday, February 25, 2008

The Sparrow

During my business trip to Wisconsin, I became so engrossed in my work that I had to tear myself away from work one Sunday morning so I could attend a church service.
In my rush to find the location of the church I had googled earlier, I was practically hydroplaning over the icy roads that led to my destination.
In my haste to glance at the map I had printed, I failed to calculate the intentions of the white dog at the side of the road. As the animal made its way across the street, years of indiciveness quickly flashed in my head as I once again found myself making a costly decision... maintain my course and hit the dog that was at that point in the middle of the road, or risk it all by swerving to miss it.

I swerved.

The vehicle I was driving made several pirouttes starting from my end of the street and ending at the snow-covered embankment on the other side of the two-lane road. Thankfully, there were no other cars around. But I was able to come to a complete stop without any scratches on the car or the dog.
Once I was able to calm my nerves, I rolled down my window and yelled obscenities at the dog. It looked at me as if to say "Dude, you alright?" before going on its way.
I was several minutes late to church and the preacher had already begun his sermon.

As the preacher read the following words to the congregation, I couldn't help but wonder who was more fortunate from the earlier events: the dog, or me...

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

"Let not your heart be troubled," His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

I sing because I'm happy,
I sing because I'm free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.


As I walked out of the service, I realized that I was the lucky one.
I realize that no matter what happens to me in this world, my faith will sustain me. It's interesting that Jesus chose the most common of all birds to teach a profound truth: in God's eyes, no one is insignificant, not even that dog.

Though He slay me, yet will I trust Him Job 13:15

2 comments:

Terry said...

Dear Noel...The tears are running down my face as I am reading this beautiful post.
I am glad that you swerved and I am glad that you wrote out this song of the sparrow and I am glad that the Lord Jesus would forgive you for yelling obscenities at the white dog, just as He forgave Peter that time.
And I am glad that you visited my blog because I have missed you so...from your forever friend, Terry

Anonymous said...

I love that song! Isn't it beautiful?