Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Moments

Last week, I took out $200 that I was going to use for some personal purchases. However, when I arrived at the appointed place and having viewed the entire inventory of electronic items I absolutely no need for, I spent only $2 on a used book.
As for the rest of the cash, I am still wondering why I didn’t just put it back into my checking account.

  • I was walking towards my car one evening when a young lady in her tweens approached me asking for donations. When I asked her for which institution the donation was for, she promptly replied with “St. Jude’s.” But when I asked her which chapter she belonged in, she couldn’t give me an answer.
    I responded with “Sorry, I don’t even have any cash with me” then left with conflicting thoughts. Indeed I had lied. I had just taken out a stack of $20 bills that I was going to use for some personal purpose. I could have easily given her one of the bills, but I realized that a young lady her age wouldn’t be going door-to-door. Nevertheless, I still felt bad… I managed to keep my $198 in my pocket.
  • When I got to my van, my stomach decided to complain to me - $19 on sushi and Chinese food.
  • After I left the Chinese food place, a well dressed gentleman gave me a sob story of how his vehicle had broken down a few blocks away and needs a few dollars to get it towed to a shop nearby. $25 attached themselves onto the gentleman.
  • This Sunday, I think I may have placed two of the bills into a donation box for a young family who had lost their father/husband. Two of the bills went into the collection plate.
  • Tonight, I bought a used cell phone for $70 from a young couple with a small child. Of course, it turns out that the phone can’t be activated because Verizon shows the phone as being stolen.
  • Once again, my stomach grumbles at me for the little attention I gave it. As I reach for my wallet to pay for the food… Not enough cash!

I’m extremely disappointed that the phone doesn’t work. But I figure, that couple could probably put the $70 to better use. I called them back to tell them that the phone doesn’t work… Of course, I’ve yet to get a return call.

It’s ok, I suppose.

…I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength. Philippians 4:11-13

1 comment:

Terry said...

oh noel
you weren't being selfish but you weren't being overly prudent either.
that money, you know came from the lord to begin with and you must be a good steward of it.
now the first girl that asked for money and you denied her, it wouldn't have been lying if you said you had not money to give to her.
the second, a well dressed gentleman, is a little bit ify but i think that you made the right decision there. after all what is he was telling the truth?
and to be sure you wouldn't of asked him to get in and you would take him to his car.
ways too dangerous these days.
oh it was great that you placed those two bills on sunday..right back into the saviours hands!
and also those two bills into the poor widow's hands will have their reward.
Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
"Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me."
now that hot phone was a bad deal that you bought from those con artists.
the food was a good deal because you were hungry and the book was a good deal too noel lewis.

all in all of that 200 dollars all that you lost was..seventy dollars to con artists who sold you that hot phone.
two dollars went for a good book.
nineteen went for food.
twenty five to a well dressed man who needed help.
eighty all together to the lord.
so that means that you had four bucks left.
enough for a coffee and donut!!
with change left over!
glad to read another post from you, that as usual ends with good scripture verses..
noel is your job still secure?
Bernie's company is holding in there just by the skin of their teeth...god bless you noel lewis.
you are a good boy...love terry