Thursday, August 12, 2010

Reflections

Today is my birthday.
I know I should be excited and jubilant...but in the grand scheme of things, I don't know how to approach the rest of today.

I do have on thought for today though...and that is I am not going to tell anyone that its' my birthday.
I've developed this warped mentality that true friends and those who care a great deal about me will set themselves apart from mere acquaintance by reminding me what today is.
People forget things --- I understand and accept that --- but true joy comes from knowing that you've made an impact on one person's life that they'd care enough to remember your birthday.

So maybe today is a day of reflection --- to gauge where my life is at in this short lifetime.
In the movie “It's a Wonderful Life”, Clarence Odbody was a second-class angel for over 200 years before earning his wings. All it took was to show a world without George Bailey.
It's a funny thing, but I sometimes wonder what this world would be like without me in it. When I look back at my greatest accomplishments, I often feel I haven't done my very best, that I've been teetering on failure.
Maybe that's why I'm content to quietly let this day go by. Maybe I'm waiting for a Clarence to remind me of my life, to give me a nod of confirmation that “No man is a failure who has friends.”

1 comment:

Terry said...

dear noel...i knew it was your birthday even though i was on holidays in my beloved manitoba, but the reason i did not post it last year or this year is because i thought maybe you didn't like me to. i made two posts for you in 2008 and 2007 but you never commented so i thought that you would not like it.
you will always be my forever friend you know and i wish that you still considered me a friend.
i always check your blog but when we got home a month ago, i was so tired that it took me quite a while before i was on the computer.
i even neglected my best friend, felisol so much.
i am trying to get caught up now and if you don't mind my forever friend, i wish you a happy belated birthday!...god bless you noel lewis...love terry